History of Molded Fiber Glass Union City 

The Molded Fiber Glass Companies (MFG) were founded in Ashtabula, Ohio in 1948 by Robert S. Morrison, a pioneer in fiber glass reinforced plastics. He made significant contributions and achieved accomplishments in the mass production of fiber glass techniques.  MFG remains today a privately owned and managed company. Current President/CEO Richard S. Morrison is now responsible for Corporate Headquarters and its sixteen subsidiaries in the United States and Mexico. Early in 2011, Richard like his father received the Lifetime Achievement Award from the American Composite Manufacturers Association for his leadership and contributions to the composite industry. 

Late in 1955, MFG acquired a manufacturing facility in Union City, Pennsylvania, for production of the first commercial line of fiberglass pleasure boats which became known as The MFG Boat Company. In 1968, MFG began production of the Sears Gamefisher and manufactured over 200,000 units during the next fifteen years. During the 1970’s the MFG Boat Company was successful in molding two lines of fiberglass boats entirely out of fiberglass, the Edinboro and Cambridge boats. Both were named after surrounding cities, as were many other MFG boats. In addition to power boats, Union City began manufacturing sail boats for Sail MFG. Sail MFG boats included catamarans, beach boats, and cabin boats, the largest manufactured was the 18 foot long Phoenix. 

In 1980, MFG discontinued sales and production of their proprietary line of boats to concentrate on custom molded products, therefore changing name from the MFG Boat Company to MFG Union City. During the next twenty years, MFG Union City took on many well known large custom projects: Chevy Corvette (repair parts), Westinghouse (electronic airport security gate), Railings and Columns (Bob Evans Restaurants), and one-piece fiber glass shower stalls just to mention a few.  MFG Union City has also played a large role in local and national community pride projects molding hundreds of fiberglass beavers, crabs, fish, frogs, turtles and birds decorated by local artists or schools which were displayed throughout their communities.  MFG Union City also has produced fiberglass architectural fiber glass parts for: Cleveland Indians Stadium, Tampa Florida C & S Back Plaza, Erie County Library and Maritime Museum, New Orleans Aquarium, Lexington, KY Shriner’s Hospital for Children, Dallas, TX Criswell College Library and numerous others. 

Today, MFG Union City is an ISO 9001:2008 certified company, focused on molding products and providing services for the custom manufacturing, alternative energy, construction, heavy truck, military, locomotive, transportation and corrosion markets. MFG UC is located 30 miles south of Lake Erie. With more than 110,000 square feet of manufacturing space, we have capacity to produce, assemble and paint extremely large and complicated Fiberglass Reinforced Plastics structures. 

In 2010 MFG UC received the “Sparkplug” and “Lean 6” corporate award from Richard S. Morrison. The “SparkPlug” award looks at business flow while evaluating a new project, profit margins, development and this technical challenge of a new project. The “Lean 6” award recognizes developments of a lean 6 culture, pursuing continual improvement, and setting high standards in vision, management commitment, teammate involvement, discipline, accountability, and performance. All teammates thrive to keep MFG UC clean, lean, profitable and a safe place to work.



QUICK CONTACT INFO

55 Fourth Avenue
Union City, PA 16438

(814) 438-3841

 

  Facebook Icon   Twitter Icon   Linkedin Icon

 

MFG UNION CITY SHIPS 3000th FUEL CELL FOR MILITARY INDUSTRY

Molded Fiber Glass Union City (MFG Union City), manufactured and shipped their 3,000th fuel cell for the military industry last month.